We are proud to be supporting ZSL’s Asiatic lion campaign, dedicated to protecting the last remaining individuals that reside as a single population in Western India’s Gir National Forest. With Liontrust’s support, ZSL is actively working with local partners in a variety of ways to ensure the survival of this population of just over 500 Asiatic lions:
- Train zoo keepers and veterinarians at Sakkarbaug Zoo in lion care and welfare
- Improve training of local staff so they can safely transport lions and other dangerous animals away from populated areas
- Upgrade infrastructure to help care for the lions’ health and wellbeing
- Establish exhibits and education programmes for local communities and visitors to learn about lion conservation
- Train and equipping rapid response teams to rescue and rehabilitate injured lions
In addition to their work in the field, ZSL opened a brand new conservation breeding centre, Land of the Lions, on 17 March 2016 at ZSL London Zoo. The exhibit was opened by HM The Queen, and its purpose is to ensure a ‘safety net’ against extinction as well as protecting the genetic viability of species.